Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
FOR THE SOUP
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 jalapenos diced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 14.5 ounce fire roasted diced tomatoes w/green chilies
- 1 11 ounce can corn
- 1 14.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper red pepper flakes, optional
- 3 tablespoons crushed corn tortilla chips
- 3 chicken breasts or 3 cups cubed rotisserie chicken meat
- 2 limes; 1 juiced and 1 cut into wedges for serving
- 1 cup heavy cream
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Favorite shredded Mexican cheese
- Corn tortilla chips or strips
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Fresh avocado slices
- Lime wedges
- Jalapeno slices
FOR THE SOUP:
- Crush enough tortilla chips to make 3 tablespoons and set aside.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat, and add the vegetable oil.
- Add onions and cook 3 minutes or until softened and translucent.
- Add jalapenos and cook an additional 1-minute.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken broth, tomatoes, corn, beans, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper and crushed corn tortilla chips.
- If using chicken breasts, add them now and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken breasts and use two forks to shred. Transfer the shredded chicken back into the pot. (If using chopped rotisserie chicken, add it now.)
- Add lime juice and heavy cream. Stir well and season with salt & pepper. Cook until heated through.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and sprinkle with shredded cheese, corn tortilla chips, a dollop of sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro.
- Serve a wedge of lime and a few slices of avocado.
DISCLAIMER: All images are copyrighted to their respective owners. All content cited is derived from their respective sources. Links to the sources can be found at the bottom of the page.Recipe from: thecookierookie.