French Onion Baked Chicken
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4-5 large yellow or white onions peeled and sliced in half
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (or red wine or sherry)
- 2/3 cup reduced sodium beef broth divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or gruyere
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan (fresh is best)
- Heat a large skillet over MED/MED-HIGH heat. Add butter and olive oil and sliced onions. Season with 1/4 tsp pepper. Add thyme sprigs and cook 8 minutes, stirring very occasionally.
- While onions are cooking, preheat oven to 400 F degrees and butter a 9x13" baking dish. Set aside.
- After 8 minutes, reduce the heat on the pan of onions down to MED/MED-LOW, and cook another 15 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in garlic, cook 1 minute. Stir in balsamic vinegar and 1/3 cup of the beef broth. Stir and cook another minute or so, until onion mixture is thick and jam-like in consistency.
- Add about a 1/2 cup of the caramelized onions to the prepared baking dish and add the remaining 1/3 cup beef broth to the dish. Stir.
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt, black pepper, dried thyme and garlic powder. Arrange chicken in prepared baking dish and top each breast with a generous spoonful of caramelized onions.
- Top chicken and onions with mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165 F degrees.
DISCLAIMER: All images are copyrighted to their respective owners. All content cited is derived from their respective sources. Links to the sources can be found at the bottom of the page.